[Development] Adding CPD support to Qt print dialog

Chris Adams chris.adams at qinetic.com.au
Fri Sep 16 03:36:12 CEST 2022

Hi Gaurav,

First, I want to make clear: I know nothing about printing at all,
either in Qt or in general.
But I did a quick archive search and found the following:
https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2020-May/039584.html

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 8:22 AM Gaurav Guleria <gaurav.gen3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am Gaurav Guleria, a GSoC student, working with Till Kamppeter to add
> and improve Common Print Dialog (CPD) support to existing print dialogs
> like GTK and Qt. More about CPD can be read here:
> https://openprinting.github.io/projects/04-print-dialog/.
>
> I wanted to ask about your opinions on the implementation and the way we
> should proceed with it. I talked with a few people and read this old
> article here: https://wiki.qt.io/Qt-5-QtPrint, which suggests the Qt
> team prefers CPD support as a plugin rather than a direct integration
> into the QPrintDialog.

I might be misunderstanding his reply, but Lars seemed to suggest that
he would have preferred CDB-related changes to live inside
qtbase/src/printsupport rather than an add-on plugin.

> Just to summarize briefly, implementing CPD support directly in the
> print dialog would mean that the Qt team wouldn't have to worry about
> any future CUPS changes, or any other print backends for that matter, as
> CPD will handle them all instead.
>
> It would be really helpful if you could share your views on this and
> give your suggestions.

Whatever path you end up taking, I wish you good luck and a successful project!

Best regards,
Chris.