[Development] Adding CPD support to Qt print dialog

Ilya Fedin fedin-ilja2010 at ya.ru
Fri Sep 16 08:56:05 CEST 2022

On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 06:32:38 +0000
Shawn Rutledge <Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io> wrote:

> Another aspect that I haven’t kept up with very well is how
> containerized applications should do printing.  We have “portal”
> support for file dialogs, for example, but is CPDB intended to work
> the same way regardless whether the app has such security
> restrictions or not?  For that matter, as a design principle, is
> everyone still sure that the way for an application to reach outside
> its container is D-Bus interfaces that are designed to be trusted?
> https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2018/07/19/flatpak-a-look-behind-the-portal/

There's Print portal for that purpose:
https://flatpak.github.io/xdg-desktop-portal/#gdbus-org.freedesktop.portal.Print

What good about it is it shows native file dialogs provided by the
environment that comes as a portal backend daemon. Just like the
FileDialog portal, it doesn't matter for the portal whether the
application is actually sandboxed, so it could be used even in
non-sandboxed environment.