[Development] Adding CPD support to Qt print dialog

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Sep 19 20:38:03 CEST 2022

El dilluns, 19 de setembre de 2022, a les 14:59:46 (CEST), Shawn Rutledge va escriure:
> On 2022 Sep 19, at 12:38, Till Kamppeter
> <till.kamppeter at gmail.com<mailto:till.kamppeter at gmail.com>> wrote:

> On 16/09/2022 08:32, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> But Qt has its own D-Bus implementation, so we tend to prefer using that,
> rather than using some external library that uses some other library that
> talks to D-Bus.  But if you really want to use the library, maybe /that/
> could be a reason to do dynamic loading?

> A re-implementation of the frontend part of CPDB with Qt's D-Bus
> implementation to overcome the need of two different libraries for D-Bus
> access in the whole Qt print dialog would lead to a maintenance overhead.
> Any change in the D-Bus interface in the original OpenPrinting
> implementation needs to get reflected in the Qt implementation.

> Yes, but do you think it needs any changes?  It’s been a few years.  The
> D-Bus interface is a kind of contract, usually you want to be sure you got
> that right.

> We still don’t have a print dialog in Qt Quick Dialogs, and I think we need
> to add one within the next couple of years (if we get around to defining
> how printing is supposed to work; I have a reasonable idea for that, I
> think, but nobody has implemented anything like that AFAIK).  So we do need
> a nice interface, suited to implementing that kind of dialog.

> And what is the print dialog we see opened by Qt/KDE apps then? Where does
> it come from?

> Have you seen a Qt Quick print dialog?  Most likely it’s still only widget
> applications that have printing functionality, and use QPrintDialog or the
> one that’s described here:
> https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Printing_Print_Dialog  But I
> don’t know for sure.

There has not been a KDE print dialog for decades at this point that tutorial is KDE 4 and it still basically gave you a regular QPrintDialog with potentially some custom tabs.

https://invent.kde.org/unmaintained/kdelibs/-/blob/KDE/4.14/kdeui/dialogs/kdeprintdialog.cpp#L44

Cheers,
  Akbert