[Development] Unity Build on CI for Qt Base for 3 Platforms

Jörg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at qt.io
Thu Aug 17 10:10:05 CEST 2023

On 8/14/23 12:47, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

> While at it, I am curious what purpose unity builds of Qt are supposed to
> serve, i.e. in which cases would exclusive use of unity builds be recommended
> to be used? Are there some docs/notes somewhere, when to use and when not?

Unity builds are mostly for improving build speed. If you're just
building Qt modules without actively working on the files then you
should see build speed improvements. If you're actively working on a Qt
module you don't want to use unity builds, because you don't want big
chunks of the module being rebuilt just because you're working on one
file. One thing we're hoping for is improved CI times with unity builds.

BR,

Joerg

--
Jörg Bornemann | The Qt Company