[Development] How to use `init-repository` properly to clean up the working tree after checking out?

Haowei Hsu hwhsu1231 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 06:05:19 CEST 2023

Hello, Thiago.

> Why?

Take CMake for example.

If I want to build its *3.25.0* release from sources, there are mainly 2
options to acquire 3.25.0 release's sources:

   1. Git clone the whole CMake <https://github.com/Kitware/CMake>
   repository, and then checkout to the v3.25.0 tag.
   2. Directly go to its releases page in GitHub, and download the archive
   of v3.25.0 <https://github.com/Kitware/CMake/releases/tag/v3.25.0> tag.

right?

But *what if right now I'd like to build CMake 3.26.2 release from sources
instead?*

   1. For the 1st option, I just need to checkout the local CMake
   repository from v3.25.0 to v3.26.2 tag.
   2. For the 2nd option, I'll have to go to the releases page in GitHub
   *again*, and download the archive of v3.26.2
   <https://github.com/Kitware/CMake/releases/tag/v3.26.2> tag *again*.

The 2nd option is sometimes time-consuming for me. (Since I have to touch
my mouse *again*)

This is why I want to adopt the 1st option sometimes. Can you understand
this feeling? 😅

---
Haowei Hsu