[Development] On the use of the inline keyword

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Aug 24 21:42:12 CEST 2023

On Thursday, 24 August 2023 05:37:28 PDT Volker Hilsheimer via Development
wrote:
> Before we now go on a campaign to clean all this up (as is already being
> reviewed for qstring.h), I’d rather evaluate other options for the existing
> code base.
>
> Can we disable this warning some in some other way on MinGW? Or, knowing the
> likely reason for it, live with it and fix things when and if we run into
> them (which seems to be reasonably rare)?

First of all, this only applies to exported classes. Classes without the
export macro do not need this. Your regexp might have found too many hits.

I don't know if GCC/MinGW is printing that warning for a good reason or not.
In the past, I think it led to compilation errors that a function that needed
to be imported wasn't. But I can't think of a good reason why that would be,
because if it's inline, it isn't imported or exported.

That warning looks like a bug in the compiler instead. So if there's no ill-
effect, I'd just disable and ignore it.