[Development] Using DMA instead of SHM in non OpenGL apps (Linux/Wayland)

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Fri Aug 25 11:12:28 CEST 2023

On 24/08/2023 21:37, Eduardo Hopperdietzel wrote:
> The results show that there's no significant difference in the time it
> takes for read and write operations using QPainter in SHM and DMA maps.

I'm really curious here, and these aren't rhetorical questions: why
would anyone expect to be a difference in performance, as far as
QPainter is concerned? Isn't it ultimately just using a CPU-based
renderer onto a block of memory? Why should it make a difference where
that memory comes from / how it's managed / etc.? Are we're talking
about "far memory" (NUMA-like) scenarios?

Thank you,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts