[Development] CI failing due to ASan tst_selftest

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Aug 27 04:36:53 CEST 2023

See https://testresults.qt.io/coin/integration/qt/qtbase/tasks/1698516419

Two separate sets of changes are running into this problem, which means
neither can be at fault. Tthis must be some other configuration that changed in
the CI. The file in qt5.git that seems to control this build hasn't changed
recently, so the change must not be in the Git repositories.

It did find a real leak, which I fixed in
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/499608. All the rest seem to
be false leaks (i.e., memory in use at the end of the program) and moreover we
have no control over, like:

   ==19383==ERROR: LeakSanitizer: detected memory leaks
 Direct leak of 48 byte(s) in 2 object(s) allocated from:
       #0 0x7f26aec7ae48 in __interceptor_malloc (/usr/lib64/libasan.so.
5+0x109e48)
       #1 0x7f26a8bcbc50  (/usr/lib64/libfontconfig.so.1+0xbc50)
       #2 0x3d4c4c415f434bff  (<unknown module>)

So it appears that whatever change this was, it made ASan's Leak Checker
actually work, whereas before it was passing but not doing its job.
Unfortunately, we're not clean of leaks, at least not of those in third-party
libs.

That means we have two possible actions to take:
* turn off ASan
* turn on the proper suppressions for ASan