[Development] Do we need VS2019 for Qt 6.6?

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Mon Feb 6 09:03:10 CET 2023

> Am 04/02/2023 um 00:08 schrieb Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>:
>
> On Friday, 3 February 2023 06:00:25 PST Kai Köhne via Development wrote:
>> We’ve been looking into this. I’m convinced now that the data Vladimir was
>> looking at on the server side is the one shown in the “Compiler
>> Information” in the Telemetry view of Qt Creator. This is the compiler Qt
>> Creator was built with though, not the compiler that Qt Creator uses for
>> compiling programs locally! So, all this says is that official Qt Creator
>> releases are still done with MSVC 2019 compiler.
>>
>> Mystery solved, I guess 😊
>
> Well, then before we can consider ditching VS2019, we need Qt Creator to start
> using 2022.

As long as we don't have harder requirements for Qt Creator than Qt, we generally just follow the minimum requirements wrt platform & compilers from Qt.
No issue with raising the requirement from the Qt side first - latest when we start building Qt Creator with that Qt version, we'll bump Qt Creator too.

Br, Eike