[Development] CMake UNITY_BUILD ( QTBUG-109394 )

Cristian Adam cristian.adam at qt.io
Tue Jan 31 12:16:46 CET 2023

On 01/16/2023 13:49, Friedemann Kleint via Development wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is basically what webengine has been using for a long time: Source
> files are concatenated to jumbo files which are then compiled.

Back in August 2019 Chromium announced the removal of the jumbo build
<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-dev/c/DP9TQszzQLI>
with the following rationale:

    /We have decided to remove support for the jumbo (aka unity) build
    configuration from the project.//
    //
    //We are very conscious of the fact that Chromium is very expensive
    and slow to compile, and that that represents a real barrier to
    contributing.//
    //
    //However, based on the experience we've gained with this
    configuration over the past many months it's been supported, we've
    reached the conclusion that the way jumbo is currently implemented,
    it interferes too much with the way people frequently write C++
    code; you have to work around jumbo-specific conflicts in a way that
    can be awkward, unnatural, or otherwise unnecessary. As a result, we
    feel that the cost to the project of maintaining jumbo is not worth
    the benefit it is providing./

Did they brought it back or is webengine maintaining a patch to support it?

Cheers,
Cristian.