[Development] Behavior-changing bugfixes in patch-level releases

Arno Rehn a.rehn at menlosystems.com
Wed Jul 12 09:00:48 CEST 2023

Hey everyone,

what is the policy for adding behavior-changing bugfixes to patch-level
releases? Is this something to expect?
At the moment we operate under the assumption that bumping the
patch-level of Qt is pretty much a no-brainer and can be done without
having to do much in the way of validation.

If behavior changes in patch-level releases are to be expected, we'll
have to be more careful with bumping Qt.

Context: We have been hit by
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtdeclarative/+/472596 (which is
even marked as "Important Behavior Change") ending up only in 6.5.1.
It was quite the headache figuring out that 6.5.0 -> 6.5.1 has broken
part of our ListViews.

Regards,
Arno

--
Arno Rehn
Tel +49 89 189 166 0
a.rehn at menlosystems.com
www.menlosystems.com

Menlo Systems GmbH
Bunsenstrasse 5, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany
Amtsgericht München HRB 138145
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Mei, Dr. Ronald Holzwarth
USt.-IdNr. DE217772017, St.-Nr. 14316170324