[Development] New "In Review" workflow state in Jira

Alex Blasche alexander.blasche at qt.io
Wed Jul 19 10:49:28 CEST 2023

Hi,

During recent times we got more and more requests from developers to have an "In Review" status in Jira. The idea is to park tasks in this state while one waits for more feedback on gerrit. Whether you keep it in this state while you continue to actively incorporate review feedback or move it back to "In Progress" is mostly up to individual decision.

My recommendation would be to shift it back to "In Progress" if the review feedback causes you to undergo larger rework. As long as you still have pending work (but parts are up for review already)  I suggest to keep it  "In Progress" to indicate your active development state.

In particular on scrum or Kanban boards this might come in very handy as one can indicate a certain openness for new tasks.

As a consequence I modified the workflow to have this additional step. I attached a diagram to illustrate the modification. It is totally optional though. You can still directly jump from "In Progress" to "Closed". Also note that Jira still considers the "In Review" status as unresolved.

This change affects the following issue types: Bug, Task, Suggestion, Sub-task, Technical task. If needed/desired it could be rolled out for Epic/User Story issues too but I don't want to go there until some feedback is received.

For the time being I enabled this for the QTBUG project and I would appreciate your feedback on it.

--
Alex