[Development] [RFCs] Migrate from GCC MinGW to LLVM MinGW

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jul 20 14:42:29 CEST 2023

On Wednesday, 19 July 2023 23:48:43 PDT Martin Storsjö wrote:
> Switching with those flags works, as long as you're building a C-only
> executable and linking libgcc statically (and not linking in any static
> libraries that were built for another CRT). I'm pretty sure that libstdc++
> touches lots of the things that have a differing ABI. A shared linked
> libgcc will use the CRT that the toolchain was built with - although I'm
> not sure if libgcc shares any CRT objects across the DLL boundary (whether
> it is a real issue or just messy).

Thanks, Martin.

I was aware of this, but thanks for expanding on who it's really a binary-
incompatible choice.

For $DAYJOB project[1], we build the compiler itself and the libraries we
need, linking statically to all of them.... except libmingw & libwinpthread. I
need to check what those import and if they are binary-compatible.

[1] https://www.linkedin.com/posts/zane-ball-7377214_iamintel-activity-7029941321645637632-zseF