[Development] [RFCs] Migrate from GCC MinGW to LLVM MinGW

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jul 20 17:34:14 CEST 2023

On Thursday, 20 July 2023 06:14:24 PDT Martin Storsjö wrote:
> So are you saying that you're building your app with a non-default CRT
> selected with the -mcrtdll option?

Yes.

> If you use the GCC -mcrtdll option for picking a non-default CRT, it would
> work unless you're also linking, even statically, a toolchain-provided
> libstdc++ though. I'm pretty sure that at least some parts of libstdc++
> touch things that have a differing ABI, even if most things might seem to
> work.

We build our own GCC (after applying that patch), but I haven't checked
whether it used UCRT for cross-building libstdc++. Ideally we wouldn't need a
-mcrtdll option, but enforce it directly in the compiler.

I also realise we haven't made a release since this change, so it's still time
to fix it.