[Development] [RFCs] Migrate from GCC MinGW to LLVM MinGW

Cristian Adam cristian.adam at qt.io
Fri Jul 21 15:07:18 CEST 2023

On 07/21/2023 14:46, Martin Storsjö wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2023, Cristian Adam wrote:

Right, lldb was using the DWARF debugging information 🙁

I've attached 3 screenshots of Qt Creator using lldb:

 1.  Unstripped MaxiDump.exe showed the bad source line and the correct
    stacktrace (due to DWARF information)
 2. Stripped MaxiDump.exe with LLVM MinGW's lldb showed only assembly with
    bad stacktrace
 3. Stripped MaxiDump.exe with the official llvm.org binaries (MSVC flavor)
    showed also assembly but with proper stacktrace.

If this was from the same build of MaxiDump.exe - if the debug info for the relevant translation units was written as DWARF, it probably wasn't written as CodeView for PDB. Or was that based on a new build where you made sure "-g -gcodeview" was used in more places?

-g -gcodeview was the missing part. After stripping the binary I was able to load it into Qt Creator!

WinDbg was also happy.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Cristian.