[Development] Requesting Feature Freeze Exception for C++20 comparison

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Jun 4 23:26:08 CEST 2023

On Sunday, 4 June 2023 11:51:54 PDT Marc Mutz via Development wrote:
> > The other problem is I want to take a second, thorough look at your
> > #ifdefs
> > for C++20. I have a feeling some of the changing return types are a recipe
> > for binary compatibility problems, if not in our own code, then in code
> > that uses our code. I need to sit down and think about whether this is a
> > valid scenario or not.
>
> All functions that alternate between returning Q*Ordering and
> std::*_ordering must be, and are, inline non-exported.

And that's exactly what I want to look at. It doesn't affect *our* binary
compatibility, but may affect downstream of us. Worse than a clear binary
compatibility problem would be a silent data incompatibility problem (in
particular, the value of the Unordered constant).

I don't want to rush this. If you want to preemptively remove the problem by
not changing the return type, then one area of my concerns goes away.