[Development] RFC: Defaulting to or enforcing UTF-8 locales on Unix systems

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Mar 20 17:41:53 CET 2023

On Monday, 20 March 2023 03:44:30 HST Edward Welbourne via Development wrote:
> There do appear to be some vagaries still, it may depend on UCRT and I'm
> not sure I've really understood it all, but it looks like we may, in
> time, be able to consistently use UTF-8 as 8-bit encoding on Windows.

That is indeed the long-term objective, both ours and Microsoft's.  The
question is only when we will be ready.

Do we need to do something to our DLLs? Can we start suggesting the manifest
flag for user applications with our CMake support (like windeployqt)? And can
we do it now for our own applications?