[Development] RFC: Defaulting to or enforcing UTF-8 locales on Unix systems

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 10:58:41 CET 2023

Hi,

> On 21 Mar 2023, at 17:46, Alvin Wong via Development <development at qt-project.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes, embedding the manifest with activeCodePage set to UTF-8 is the only thing need to enable UTF-8 as the ANSI code page (ACP) for the process.
>
> Qt itself should work fine after the bug in QStringConverter had been fixed [1] a while back. (You can also refer to the linked mail thread. [2]) However, as this bug has shown, any code that uses`MultiByteToWideChar` incorrectly or wrongly assumes that `CP_ACP` always refers to a charset in which each characters are formed by no more than two bytes will break. Therefore, before switching to UTF-8 as the ACP, application developers have to check their code and other libraries to make sure everything will still work properly after the switch.
>
> [1]: https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/412208
> [2]: https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2022-May/038241.html
>
> About the CRT, it is true that only UCRT fully supports UTF-8 locale. When compiling with MSVC, you are almost always using UCRT so it should be fine.
>
> MinGW-w64 is a bit more complicated -- when one gets a mingw-w64 toolchain, the whole toolchain is already configured for a specific CRT. Usually it will be the system MSVCRT. (If it's configured for UCRT, the toolchain author will usually make it clear, because compiled programs will not run out-of-the-box on Windows 8.1 or earlier.) I did not run tests myself, but I would not trust MSVCRT to support UTF-8 ACP fully. mingw-builds [3] and llvm-mingw [4] are some examples of mingw-w64 toolchains that ships UCRT versions.
>
> [3]: https://github.com/niXman/mingw-builds-binaries/releases
> [4]: https://github.com/mstorsjo/llvm-mingw
>
> There are two more problems with enabling UTF-8 ACP using the manifest that I have encountered so far. When a process is running with UTF-8 ACP, there seems to be no API available to get the native system ACP. This can be an issue if, for example some external tools write files using the system ACP and your program wants to read those files. The other problem (a mild annoyance) is that, some debuggers which isn't using updated APIs (gdb for example) does not capture `OutputDebugString` messages in the correct encoding, which affects QDebug output.

I’ve looked into that one when we did the work for Qt 6. The console has its own code page that can be set independently from the app, and I believe also independently from the system code page. qDebug() should be mostly fine, as we’re using OutputDebugStringW() internally and let Windows handle this mess.

What it does affect is writing to stdout/err and OutputDebugStringA().

> (Console output encoding is separate from the ACP, so one might also need to call `SetConsoleOutputCP(CP_UTF8)`, but the detail is a bit fuzzy to me.)

Setting the code page for console output should help when writing to stdout/err. It’ll require a bit of testing again (it’s been a while since I looked into it), but I believe console was mostly handling this fine independent of the codepage being used by it internally (ie. Windows would recode the string).

Cheers,
Lars