[Development] Raising the minimum to C++20

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu May 4 00:24:09 CEST 2023

On Wednesday, 3 May 2023 11:15:19 PDT Marc Mutz via Development wrote:
> That might be so, and I'm not Maurice or Vladimir, but if I was to
> decide, I wouldn't commit my company to a roadmap that requires forward
> binary compatibility from stdlib vendors without a written declaration
> from each of them that this is a supported use-case.

That problem exists whether we use C++20 or not. If a library decides to break
BC, they'll likely *break* it for all versions. I don't think a C++20 symbol
in 2025 is more likely to get replaced/removed than a C++17 or C++98 one.

Compiling with a new version of the library and running with an old one is not
and has never been supported. No one is suggesting that. That's why I listed a
few oldest minimum versions, so that anyone interested in creating binary
builds could choose exactly those.