[Development] API style guide: scoped enum or not?

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Thu May 4 18:01:23 CEST 2023

> On 4 May 2023, at 17:34, Marc Mutz via Development <development at qt-project.org> wrote:
>
> On 04.05.23 15:38, Volker Hilsheimer via Development wrote:
>> Should we have Qt::TextLayout::Horizontal and Qt::Layout::Horizontal? Or QSlider::Orientation::Horizontal?
>
> Without looking at the docs, tell me what QSplitterHandle::orientation()
> means :)

The same that it would mean if it would return Qt::Orientation::Horizontal or Qt::HorizontalOrientation :)

I’m guessing: whether the handle gets dragged horizontally or vertically, ie the opposite of what one would expect (whether the handle is v horizontal or vertical line). In which case the problem is the name of the property not of the enum type.

Volker