[Development] Raising the minimum to C++20

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Fri May 5 13:22:09 CEST 2023

On Thu, 4 May 2023 at 10:54, Marc Mutz via Development
<development at qt-project.org> wrote:

> On 04.05.23 00:39, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > And yet, the list of things we want from C++20 is not that big. It's nowhere
> > as complex as C++11 and I'd argue that even the 17 upgrade for Qt 6.0 was a
> > bigger jump. Unless we add concepts to the list, but I don't think we can
> > until we've experimented with it for a while.
>
> Coroutines will put async APIs upside down. It's a pretty dramatic shift
> in how you write async code and Qt as a large provider of async APIs is
> going to be strongly affected.

Maybe, maybe not. I have written a Qt adaptation for libunifex (i.e.
Senders & Receivers), and it coroutineifies
every QObject signal generically. If you want to help get that forward
(needs some CMake stuff, and tests, examples,
and docs), I'll be happy to point you to our internal git repo where
that code lives.