[Development] Proposing changes to https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Coding_Style

Mårten Nordheim marten.nordheim at qt.io
Tue May 9 13:08:20 CEST 2023

Hello!

Yeah, I'd +1 these.

> - space after template and before <:
>
>    // WRONG
>    template<class T>
>    // CORRECT:
>    template <class T>
>
> Rationale: We always used the latter in Qt. Then a faulty _clang-format
> that dropped the space for unknown reasons was added to qt5.git and
> since then, we have a wild mix. We should fix the faulty _clang-format
> file and codify just one variant in the normative document,
> https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Coding_Style.

I think it was already mixed usage back then, but it's also something
I've been bothered by. I pushed this patch a while ago but never
got around to pinging anyone about it:

https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qt5/+/433720

> - drop the requirement for () in lambdas
>
> Rationale: this was a word-around for older MSVCs. The standard doesn't
> require the empty parameter list (except when adorning the lambda with
> noexcept etc, and then the compiler complains) and people have voted
> with their feet: we now have many uses of [] {} in Qt already.

I don't really see the problem with having empty parenthesis, even if
they're optional. But as long as we're not enforcing it it doesn't make
sense as a rule either.

Mårten