[Development] Proposing changes to https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Coding_Style

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Wed May 10 09:36:46 CEST 2023

> On 10 May 2023, at 07:39, Marc Mutz via Development <development at qt-project.org> wrote:
>>

>> That said. I find discussing style-guides in general a waste of time, and will
>> agree to anything that make us stop wasting time on this.
>
> I tend to agree, but the choice is either to define it centrally, or you
> repeat these discussions on Gerrit over and over again.

Thanks for the proposals Marc, the list looks good to me.

As for

>>> - space after template and before <:
>>>
>>>    // WRONG
>>>    template<class T>
>>>    // CORRECT:
>>>    template <class T>

I was wondering what cppreference suggests, and was delighted to find that the first few lines of

https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/memory/unique_ptr

manage to have both :) So accepting either, and in particular the no-space form that comes out of _clang-format, is fine.

Encoding this in the sanity bot and/or in _clang-format avoids that we waste time on this during code review.

Volker