[Development] Resurrecting QtGamepad

Arno Rehn arno at arnorehn.de
Tue Oct 24 21:12:51 CEST 2023

Hi Andy,

On 22.10.23 20:57, Andy Nichols wrote:
> I suppose I was the one who previously stated I wanted to rearchitect
> QtGamepad before making it part of Qt 6.  The main issue was that it was
> very focused on gamepads (like the XBox Controller) and did not easily
> map to other exotic input devices.  I wanted to redesign it to where the
> Gamepad API sat on top of a more generic exotic input mechanism so that
> we could fulfill that need of using other types of controllers like
> Joysticks, steering wheels, flight yokes etc. Some effort was made this
> year in that regard as a combined effort from me, Kristoffer Skau, and
> especially Johan Solbakken.  The result of that prototype can be found here:
> codereview.qt-project.org
> <https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtgamepad/+/495313>
> 	favicon.ico <https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtgamepad/+/495313>
>
> <https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtgamepad/+/495313>
> This patch provides an expanded vision for exotic input devices while
> also providing a mostly compatible API for QtGamepad built on top.  Some
> more refinement is needed but that is the progress we have so far.

Cool, thanks! Good to know that it's not dead yet :-)

> Ideally if QtGamepad is reintroduced in Qt6 it would be with some flavor
> of these changes rather than just being a strait port form Qt 5.

Agreed. Maybe I'll just push my port to github then, renamed as
qtgamepad-legacy or so.

> Hopefully that gives some insights into the current state of QtGamepad.
>   If you or anyone else is interested in participating in QtGamepads
> development please get in touch with us.  It’s not exactly a business
> critical project so for us it’s a passion project so it can be good
> place to get involved if it’s something you care about as well.

I'd love to help out, but I've not really got a lot of spare time at the
moment :( I probably won't get around to writing actual code. But you
can CC me for code review, if you'd like :-)

-- Arno