[Development] C++20 comparisons @ Qt (was: Re: C++20 @ Qt)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Sep 21 18:02:54 CEST 2023

On Thursday, 21 September 2023 02:10:22 PDT Ivan Solovev via Development
wrote:
> But I'd say that if someone wants to implement three-way comparison for
> their classes in C++17, then a bit better understanding of the language
> features is a reasonable expectation.

Allowing class developers to implement the three-way comparison such that Qt
can make use of it is fine. That's basically allowing them to use the same
technique we will be using to make our classes three-way comparable.

Providing an API for three-way comparison in C++17 does not need to happen.
People can upgrade to C++20 or complain to their vendors. We are talking about
adding this to a Qt release to happen in 2024, nearly 4 years after the C++
edition was published.

I won't oppose it if it is simple, without imposing undue constraints. But it
need not be part of the initial design.