[Development] Trouble getting reviews in months and years

Morten Sørvig Morten.Sorvig at qt.io
Tue Apr 16 10:12:51 CEST 2024

On Apr 12, 2024, at 11:51, Ilya Fedin <fedin-ilja2010 at ya.ru> wrote:

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:53:07 +0000
Morten Sørvig <Morten.Sorvig at qt.io> wrote:

- Should Qt read Gdk settings? Should the XCB platform plugin read
Gdk settings? The current approach is that we stick to X11-level
settings, at least as far as DPI is concerned.

I hope the answer is yes. If it would be no, it would just block this
functionality without any good reason as there's no other API for this
on X11 (at least I'm not aware of).

It is the X11 platform plugin after all - which operates on the X11 level.  Compare
with something like the gtkplatform plugin [1], which would definitively respond to
all GDK settings.

Going to reading private/undocumented GDK settings does look like a significant
change to me. I’m Ok with it if there is a consensus for going in that direction (the
patch is at +0 from my side right now).

I see the point about being pragmatic and behaving according to user preferences
though. Which Qt arguably already does to some degree since the text preference
is reflected in the Xft.dpi value.

Should this be up to the application (somehow)? There is more than one way to handle
DPI settings on X11, so we could enable apps to make choices which are different
from the Qt default.

- Morten

[1] https://github.com/CrimsonAS/gtkplatform