[Development] HEADS-UP: Qt 6.8 API change review

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Mon Jun 10 10:38:19 CEST 2024

We added QT_TECH_PREVIEW_API to 6.7 after 6.7.0 (because the tag wasn’t available in time for 6.7.0) so that we can see that difference when we remove it against from 6.8 (with the intention of informing reviewers about that change), and that’s now completely invisible.

Also header changes in 6.7 might be fixes (such as https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/565633, which shouldn’t have shown as a diff here).

In short, I think we should review the delta between current 6.8 and current 6.7 (or at most latest 6.7 patch release), not 6.7.0.

If we think that we should formally review changes within 6.7 patch cycles (ref discussion about permitting forward BiC breakage), then we should not abuse the 6.8 header review, IMHO. The change analyser tags changes in headers that get cherry-pick’ed with "API change cherry-picked”, so https://codereview.qt-project.org/q/hashtag:%22api+change+cherry-picked%22+status:merged lists all those.

Cheers,
Volker