[Development] Removing Qt 3D from release configuration in dev branch

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Wed Mar 27 13:27:47 CET 2024

Hi,

On 27/03/2024 09:39, Tuukka Turunen via Development wrote:
> # Qt 3D module is removed from official release configuration in the dev
> branch, i.e. no longer part of the releases from Qt 6.8 onwards
> # Qt 3D continues to be part of Qt project, it continues to be covered by
> CI, and available in the repository for those who want to use it
> # Even though not part of the release configuration, intention is to keep
> Qt 3D working also with Qt 6.8
> # Qt 6.7 and older releases continue to have Qt 3D module in the upcoming
> patch releases

Thank you for the heads-up. I think this should eventually become a blog
post, a changelog note in 6.7, and needs some documentation notes --
users deserve to be notified visibly in advance.

There is still a number of aspect that IMHO need to be addressed:

* If Qt3D is not bundled with the Qt installer, how are users going to
install it? I'd really want a very practical solution; ideally a CMake
command that does everything (for instance: is Qt3D found in your Qt
build? Then use it, otherwise fetch+build "the right version" from
sources.).

* What branching and release model is Qt3D going to have? Is it still
promising API/ABI compat in the future? Will it evolve towards a more
complicated model like Webengine?

* Is Qt3D going to be under Qt's CI *after* 6.8?

Thanks,
KDAB - Trusted Software Excellence