[Development] Moving QDesktopServices from Gui to Core?

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at qt.io
Tue May 7 17:32:35 CEST 2024

On 07.05.24 14:58, Tor Arne Vestbø wrote:
[...]
>> Honestly, I don't understand the push-back for the move. It seems only
>> logical to me: QUrl is in QtCore, so IMHO, it's only logical to have
>> QUrl _handlers_ in QtCore, too. And in other emails, I showed use-cases
>> of CLI programs that need openUrl(), but not the rest of QtGui.
>>
>> So, we have use-cases and we seem to have no technical reason to not
>> move the code (if we can provide it as private API, there can't be many).
>
> As I mentioned earlier, twice I think now, there is overlap to intents/activities, which are also URL based. If we want to build a Qt API for this, it would make sense to not propagate the (legacy) QDesktopServices openUrl/urlHandler APIs further.

In which way are we propagating the API further? We're just moving it
from one library to the next. And QtNetworkAuth is already using it.

Do you have some timeline for intents/activities? Because the improved
OAuth support is ready _now_, for 6.8., if it weren't for the
undesirable QtGui dependency.

If and when intents/activities replace openUrl(), QtNetworkAuth will
have to be ported, QtCore move or not, public API or not.

Thanks,
Marc

--
Marc Mutz <marc.mutz at qt.io> (he/his)
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company
Erich-Thilo-Str. 10 12489
Berlin, Germany
www.qt.io

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Jouni Lintunen
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin,
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg,
HRB 144331 B