[Development] What to do if tests hang on the CI and I can't reproduce that locally?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri May 17 02:14:26 CEST 2024

On Thursday 16 May 2024 09:55:39 GMT-7 Ilya Fedin wrote:
> Dimitris seem to have a problem writing to the list right now but what
> he found is that running the tests under gdb makes them not hang.
> Perhaps this means that it's not X server who haven't replied but Xlib
> (or libc/kernel?) who fails to notice the reply?

Yes, it could be a race condition inside libX11.

I know libxcb is designed to not have globals, but I am not so sure about
libX11. libxcb's .data + .bss is a mere 0xa8 bytes, while libX11's is 0x38e8.
That's a lot of global data.

So it's entirely possible that GDK isn't getting the reply it needs because
that reply was sent to our Display and connection and thus handled by our
thread.

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Fleet Engineering and Quality