[Development] Changing Qt's Binary Compatibility policy

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed May 29 14:44:05 CEST 2024

On Wednesday 29 May 2024 00:30:12 GMT-3 Kevin Kofler via Development wrote:
> There is, however, one use case you are overlooking, and that is binaries
> compiled on one distribution and run on another.

That's not supported at all and that has nothing to do with Qt. Unless the two
distributions are coordinating and testing each other's binaries, it's not
guaranteed to work and is in fact a recipe for disaster. But if they are
coordinating, then the problem you're talking about doesn't exist.

Some distributions have adopted the no-direct-external-access support and
others have not. In order to run against a Qt that was compiled with it, you
must compile your software with it too, otherwise the loader will refuse to
start your application.

I don't understand why some distros explicitly disable that support. It might
be because they wanted to retain compatibility with the negligible amount of
Qt 6 software that existed before the option was introduced. But now they're
locked into it for the duration of Qt 6.x.

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Fleet Engineering and Quality