[Interest] Logging best practice.

Bo Thorsen bo at fioniasoftware.dk
Fri Dec 2 17:12:00 CET 2011

Den 02-12-2011 15:33, Charley Bay skrev:
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 12:21 AM, Bo Thorsen <bo at fioniasoftware.dk
> <mailto:bo at fioniasoftware.dk>> wrote:
>
>     Den 02-12-2011 08:21, Bo Thorsen skrev:
>      > Den 01-12-2011 22:46, Charley Bay skrev:
>      >>
>      >> qLog(Type) << "string=" << str << ", int=" << i;
>      >>
>      >> That code is not re-entrant,
>      >
>      > Wrong.
>

> My mistake -- sorry.  Yes, a local LoggerHelper would make it re-entrant
> (essential of course).
>
> My original point was to ensure an atomic call to the ultimate logger,
> which the syntax didn't suggest (because of multiple calls in the single
> expression), but yes, a LoggerHelper would provide.
>
> Apologies for my noise.

No worries :)

> As an aside, with the "stream operator" syntax, is there any interest in
> supporting "localization" for logging?  The atomic
> "message-format-string" we found easier to localize:
>
> "some value %1 exceeds the limit of %2"

I'm sure some would want to do this, but again this is pretty easy:

qLog(...) << tr("some value %1 exceeds the limit of %2").
   arg(1).arg(2);

Personally, I *really* don't like it when someone writes logs (or
comments in the code) in their native language, unless that happens to
be English. But that doesn't mean I can't see that someone will actually
do this.

Bo Thorsen,
Fionia Software.

--