[Interest] Mac app store roadblock for Qt applications using QtWebKit

Chris Meyer cmeyer1969+qt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 02:05:46 CET 2011

I have an application that has been shipping in the Mac app store for
several months based on Qt. Recently I submitted a minor update.

This time I got rejected due to private API usage:

(: _NSDrawCarbonThemeBezel,  : _NSDrawCarbonThemeListBox) in
framework: '/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit'

(: CoreDragGetCurrentDrag, : CoreDragSetImage) in framework:
'/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices'

(: GetNativeWindowFromWindowRef) in framework:
'/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon'

(: CFReadStreamSignalEvent) in framework:
'/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation'

It turns out that these calls are all included via WebKit,
specifically via object files (supplied by Apple) in the
WebKitLibraries subdirectory.

http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebKitLibraries

I appealed the rejection and got a call from a reviewer who said
straight out "Apple will not accept 3rd party WebKit builds."

I don't know if it is possible for QtWebKit (or even if it would be
accepted if it were possible) to build without linking to the
libraries in WebKitLibraries... any ideas? This seems like a major
roadblock right now.