[Interest] "When its ready"

marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
Fri Dec 16 21:56:47 CET 2011

On 16/12/2011 06:02, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday, 16 de December de 2011 08.47.24, Yves Bailly wrote:

>>> WebKit is too big for the link-time compiler's mind. No way out.
>>
>> Maybe split it in two or more "sub-libraries"?
>
> It's already split into multiple convenience sub-libraries. But the
> LTCG compiles them all into a DLL at the final link time and that is
> too big.
>
> The only possibility to fix this would be to break into multiple
> DLLs. I am completely opposed to that, as I expect the load time
> related to so many symbols and relocations to be higher.

Probably not by much, and it could be platform specific. However, that
would make the already quite complex build system of QtWebKit even more
complex, which is frightening :)

I would recommend simply forcing off the LTCG flag for WebKit, even if
Qt is configured with it. That would be a patch for the WebKit guys. Any
takers?