[Interest] Mac app store roadblock for Qt applications using QtWebKit

Matilainen Pasi pasi.matilainen at digia.com
Tue Dec 20 07:10:59 CET 2011

On 18.12.2011, at 14.02, Ben Lau wrote:

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Ben Lau <xbenlau at gmail.com<mailto:xbenlau at gmail.com>> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Till Oliver Knoll <till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com<mailto:till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com>> wrote:

* Qt app + QtWebKit: absolute no-go for Apple App Store

* Qt App without QtWebKit: good to go (provided all the Qt "App Store" patches are applied)

It is pity to have this conclusion... Just interest to know any chance to have Digg support a commercial version of Qt for App store?

Sorry, should be Digia..

I work at Qt Commercial R&D at Digia, and I have been looking at the issues preventing Qt apps from being accepted into the Mac App Store. It is on our agenda to make the path of Qt apps into the App Store as easy as possible, and all related patches will of course be submitted for merging into the LGPL release, so any patches related to the App Store won't be limited to the commercial version only. We will submit our changes for both 4.8.1 and 5.0, but 4.8.1 currently has a priority for us, as that release will happen sooner.

The App Store requirements and review process seem to be moving targets, but if there are no new major issues, it should be considerably easier to get applications based on Qt 4.8.1 into the App Store. Chris Meyer's patches of course have a large part in this, as they tackle some of the most important problems; I have been in contact with Chris about the App Store issues, and will continue working with him to get them sorted out.

Pasi Matilainen
Qt Commercial R&D