[Interest] Qt Project at the Linux Foundation events

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Nov 4 12:03:35 CET 2011

On Tuesday, 1 de November de 2011 15:59:44 Quim Gil wrote:
> Hi, I'm welcoming feedback on the involvement the Qt Project and Qt
> topics in general should have in the Linux Foundation events.

This thread is perfect for the new ML for community and marketing
activities...

> This is the list of events they have announced so far:
>
> 2012 Event Schedule
>
>      * February 13 - 14, 2012 - Android Builders Summit, Redwood Shores, CA
>      * February 14 - 16, 2012 - Embedded Linux Conference, Redwood
> Shores, CA

Makes a lot of sense for Qt to be in ELC and, since they're colocated, show up
and make some splash at the Android Builders. But of itself, the ABS is not an
event for Qt: it's audience are device builders and OEMs.

>      * April 1 - 2, 2012 - Linux Storage and Filesystem Summit, San
> Francisco, CA

Doesn't seem very interesting to us...

>      * April 3 - 5, 2012 - Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit, San
> Francisco, CA

Good event, we should be present. I found the last edition to be still very
much focused on kernel development, but I'm sure the LF would welcome
discussions higher up in the stack. Suggested topics of collaboration:

 - Wayland and improving the Linux graphics stack
 - XDG standards (e.g. QStandardPaths, QDesktopFile, QMimeType)
 - LSB 5.0 and Qt 4 and 5
 - desktops

>      * April 30 & May 1, 2012 - Linux Foundation End User Summit, New
> York City, NY
>      * August 26 - 28, 2012 - Linux Kernel Summit, San Diego, CA
>      * November 7 - 9, 2012 - KVM Forum, Barcelona, Spain

Not sure about these. Not Qt's area.

>      * June 6 - 8, 2012 - LinuxCon Japan, Yokohama, Japan
>      * August 29 - 31, 2012 - LinuxCon North America & Linux Plumbers
> Conference, San Diego, CA
>      * November 5 - 7, 2012 - LinuxCon Europe & Embedded Linux
> Conference Europe, Barcelona, Spain

The LinuxCons are generic and we should be present. I'll be in the LinuxCon
Brazil in two weeks and in one of my sessions, I'll draw heavily on the Open
Governance efforts to present how one could begin to build a community.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358