[Interest] Qt creator - Minimum Qt version?

Syam Krishnan syamcr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 14:55:23 CET 2011

On 11/25/2011 04:05 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday, 25 de November de 2011 06:31:37 Syam Krishnan wrote:
>> Qt 4.5. So I&aps;d have to recompile new Qt into some other
>> directory, and have that version used when building Qt
>> Creator. Won&aps;t that be equally ugly/difficult/time-consuming?<br>
> Compared to what? To using an older Creator?
No. Compared to compiling & installing a newer Qt on to a separate
directory and then building and running Qt Creator using that version of Qt.
That was what Konstantin was recommending (and perhaps a more
technically correct way).

Today, I built and installed gcc 4.6.2 (C & C++ only and without the
stuff for 'Graphite loop optimizations') on to separate directory. Took
about an hour on my couple of years old PC.
Then I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH from the shell script used to invoke Qt
Creator. It works like a charm.

> It will be more time consuming to find the older Qt Creator that works with the
> Qt that you already have. And it will be uglier because you'll have less
> features, using an obsolete version of Qt Creator.

Well, you got me wrong. My intention was to see if I can use the latest
version of Qt Creator on an RHEL5 machine without altering the installed
Qt 4.5.
As Pritam and others pointed out, this wouldn't be much of a problem
since Qt Creator comes with its own Qt library files.
The only real problems were an obsolete fontconfig package (which I
don't have any problem updating) and requirement of newer C++ library -
which I met using the above method.

Regards,

Syam