[Interest] QML on the desktop? It's reality!

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 09:37:45 CEST 2011

Hello all,

I can't remember that anyone mentioned this before here:

"Unity 2D is implemented in C++ with Nokia's open source Qt
development toolkit, making extensive use of the Qt Quick user
interface framework. A major peripheral advantage of Unity's reliance
on Qt is that the Qt library stack (version 4.7) is now included as a
standard part of the default Ubuntu installation. Qt-based
applications will now be even easier to deploy on Ubuntu, making the
platform more appealing to the growing body of cross-platform
application developers who are using the toolkit."

[http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2011/10/desktop-dreams-ubuntu-1110-reviewed.ars/2]

I did not know that Unity 2D was implemented in Qt. And with QML as it seems! :)

Irony of it all: Unity 2D is the "fallback solution" for the new Unity
desktop. It is supposed to kick in if there is no hardware
acceleration available. I wonder how this will work out when Qt 5
requires OpenGL ES support to have decent performance... ;)

Anyone has experience with that? I'll give it a try in my virtual box...

Anyway, another benefit seems to be that now even Ubuntu ships with Qt
(not just its sister KUbuntu)!

Read the entire (Ubuntu) story here:

  http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2011/10/desktop-dreams-ubuntu-1110-reviewed.ars

Cheers, Oliver