[Interest] The Open-By-Rule Governance Benchmark

Quim Gil quim.gil at nokia.com
Fri Oct 28 01:50:35 CEST 2011

(((Moving the thread to qt-project.org, please follow there)))

On 10/27/2011 11:41 AM, ext Kristen Eisenberg wrote:
> This article contains some measurements that might be worth applying to
> Qt's proposed open governance framework:

Hi, I guess you refer to
http://opensource.com/life/11/2/open-rule-governance-benchmark

Open Meritocratic Oligarchy
OK: http://wiki.qt-project.org/The_Qt_Governance_Model &
http://wiki.qt-project.org/Maintainers

Good Rules

- Modern license. OK: http://qt-project.org/legal.html#licensing

- No copyright aggregation. OK: http://qt-project.org/legal.html

- Trademark policy. OK: http://qt-project.org/trademarkpolicy.html

- Road map and schedule. OK (just refreshed in Qt Dev days, landing to
the website as we speak): http://developer.qt.nokia.com/wiki/Qt_5.0
http://wiki.qt-project.org/Release_Management
http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_Creator_Releases

By Its Fruit
Bear in mind that we are just completing the first week of Qt Project.
However:

- Multiple co-developers. OK: apart from Nokia there are several
contributors already now from other companies and individuals on their
own or under the KDE umbrella.

- Forking is feasible. OK: it is a feasible scenario +
http://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde/kdefreeqtfoundation.php

- Transparency. potentially OK: since last Friday "what is not visible
doesn't exist" - Lars Knoll. Still needs to be fully demonstrated but
any transparency problem will become a bug with top priority.

--
Quim