[Interest] QLineEdit - clearing the password from memory

Marcus Frenkel marcus.frenkel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 12:24:15 CEST 2012

Hi

I need to make sure that the password is not kept in memory when
QLineEdit is destroyed. I tried to use QLineEdit::clear() or
QLineEdit::setText() but the password string stays in memory. I
basically want to zeroise the private member string that holds the
text, I believe QLineEditPrivate::text is the one. How can I access
this member without changing Qt sources?

The alternative is to catch key events and store the text in a string
I can control, but there is too much to implement considering the
usage of selection, delete, backspace, arrow keys etc.

Thank you!
Marcus