[Interest] query about QT textbooks

Sivan Greenberg sivan at omniqueue.com
Wed Apr 11 20:45:05 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Jason H <scorp1us at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Fortunately that book is free.
> http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9780131879058/downloads/0131879057_Ezust_book.pdf
>
> This is indeed a very good book. I even have it in print for the second
edition, also this one kind of helped fit the pieces in the big puzzle
(stuff like project file, resources etc, although I grasped them from the
online docs, reading them there made it even more clear) -
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Nokia-Apps-Development-Professionals/dp/1430231777
 .

I've had the "opportunity" to leard Win32, MFC, .Net and a touch of Java,
> and Qt is my favorite event though it is C++. The only way I found to
> improve on Qt was to use PyQt (or PySide) and use Qt from Python. (Using
> list comprehensions with Qt is a joy.)

And today you can actually use QML (a dialect of JavaScript) to get up and
running in no time. http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt_Quick_Tutorial  regarding
project files, how to compile and where to enter the code - hop on to
either #qt or #qt-qml on freenode (you need an IRC client, I use irssi) and
we'd be happy to help!

> Anyway, I wouldn't focus on any other books until you have the Qt design
> patterns down. It's like learning to fight. First you learn how to fight
> with your body, then you add weapons which are just an extension. Master
> the design patterns and the rest is just extension.

This is true, although you could go developing with the book I've
mentioned, it is better to understand to the core what you are doing,
however if you stick to QML it is a different protective abstraction so no
prior c++ patterns are needed just a bit of grasp for event driven
development.

-Sivan