[Interest] Contributor agreement rundown

Quim Gil quim.gil at nokia.com
Wed Apr 18 21:17:49 CEST 2012

On 04/18/2012 12:08 PM, ext Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> 1. Qt has dual licensing, open and commercial.
>
> I think you mean open and closed/proprietary, because "open" does not
> imply non-commercial.

Ok, open source and proprietary.

>> 2. Qt Commercial = Qt (from qt-project.org) + more non-OSS addons + more
>> platforms supported
>
> Yes, but contribution does not happen for the non-OSS addons.

Precisely.

> Contributions go to qt-project, and since it's LGPL, it should be able
> to be used with the non-OSS addons.

But Qt Commercial customers would need to follow the LGPL obligations
e.g. publishing library modifications, giving access to source to
whoever requests it, avoiding linking statically in big proprietary
executables... and this is one of they reasons why they pay for Qt
Commercial.

>> 3. Everybody here agrees that Qt as in qt-project.org and Qt as in Qt
>> Commercial need to be the same, otherwise it's a mess. This is why the
>> Qt Project has that contribution agreement, and this is why Digia
>> (maintainer of Qt Commercial) dedicates resources upstreaming their
>> patches and being a key player in the Qt releases at qt-project.org.
>
> I don't see why the LGPL can't be used for the commercially supported
> version.

See above, and in previous messages from others.

>> This game is good enough to have organizations as diverse as KDE or RIM
>> to agree on it. But if it's not good for you that's fine, you are not
>> forced to sign it and still you have many options to contributoe to the
>> Qt Project.
>
> Having open code closed down at will is not my cup of tea.

Fine. Qt Project's cup of tea is defined in the Contribution Agreement.
Let's move on?

>> May I ask, what is the contribution you have in mind?
>
> Reporting of the desktop environment the application runs in to the
> application, for supporting different interface guidelines (like
> instant-apply preferences in Gnome and other DEs vs "OK/Apply/Cancel"
> buttons on KDE.)

Sorry, I didn't get it.

--
Quim