[Interest] Contributor agreement rundown

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 19:55:44 CEST 2012

On 19/04/12 11:44, Till Oliver Knoll wrote:
> Am 18.04.2012 um 22:02 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras<realnc at gmail.com>:
>
>> Qt already detects the environment, but it's all kept private.  What I
>> had in mind is exposing this to the user through QSysInfo when he needs
>> to provide different behavior for Gnome, KDE, Xfce, and others.
>
> Can you give a practical use case where one wants to implement different behaviour depending on the desktop?
>
> I'm just asking, because my gutt feeling tells me that this should be kept and handled internally.
>
> For example: platform icons (for standard actions such as Open, Save, Close, Print...). Qt already has a mechanism (was it QIconFactory?) to create/get appropriate icons.
>
> Example: order of OK, Cancel etc buttons in dialogs. There exists a Qt layout container which takes care of that.
>
> Example: Standard button texts "Cancel" vs "Abort" and the like. I think there are button "roles" which already take care of that.
>
> So what beyond these points do you have in mind? And even if there were such scenarios: wouldn't it be better to "solve this within Qt" (in the manner as the techniques above) instead of burdening that task upon the actual application?

In my apps, I provide "OK/Apply/Cancel" buttons in dialogs with settings
under KDE.  When running in Gnome however, all settings apply instantly
when changes, and the dialog only has a "Close" button.

Furthermore, there can be differences in the titles of menus and
shortcuts.  The Fullscreen shortcut for example needs to be "Ctrl+F11"
in Gnome and "F11" or "Shift+Ctrl+F" in KDE.  And this is just KDE vs
Gnome.  Other desktops can have additional differences.

Note that if QKeySequence is modified to include missing shortcuts (like
Fullscreen), the first use case is still valid.