[Interest] Contributor agreement rundown

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 22:59:13 CEST 2012

Just FYI -

FSF requires the signing of a CLA that gives them nearly the same authority for any GNU projects. They could theoretically change the license of all GNU GPL/LGPL projects they run to a 100% proprietary license without any recourse from the developers involved (they signed the CLA). However, practically speaking they'll never do anything other than update to a new version of the GPL/LGPL.

The Linux Kernel doesn't have a direct CLA; but you do have to sign a bunch of stuff with every commit you make or it won't be accepted. Fortunately, that's built into git so its easily managed. This was done in response to the SCO vs. the World litigation - to ensure every commit was legally provided, and a tracking of it to prove it.

Apache Software Foundation requires a CLA as well if you want to commit to any ASF project (e.g. OpenOffice, HTTPd, Subversion, etc.).

That is to say, many mature open source organizations and projects that are well respected in the community use a CLA to protect themselves and their ability to update licenses to address concerns that come up.
As others have said, it's a matter of being practical (pragmatic, realistic, etc.) over fundamental.

For Qt, it also preserves the ability for the commercial version which, as others have pointed out, has numerous benefits for the community, and the protection of the Free Qt Foundation as well.

$0.02

Ben