[Interest] Building 32-bit Qt 5 on Mac

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 01:41:06 CEST 2012

On 24/04/12 02:34, Paul Miller wrote:
> On 4/23/2012 3:49 PM, Stephen Chu wrote:

>>> Are there 32bit-only 10.5 systems?  Can it even be installed on a Mac
>>> that lacks a 64bit CPU?
>>>
>>> It's a bit difficult to find accurate information.  I ask because Qt
>>> supports down to OS X 10.5.  10.4 is not supported (at least not with
>>> Cocoa, and Carbon was deprecated by Qt I think).  If 10.5 can't be
>>> installed on 32bit Macs, then it makes sense to build for 64bit.
>>>
>>> The same goes for the PowerPC 10.5 Macs though.  Can 10.5 be installed
>>> on 32bit-only PPCs?
>>
>> I am not worried about PPC at all. But 10.5 can be installed on 32-bit
>> PPC. And both 10.5 and 10.6 can be installed on 32-bit only Intel Macs.
>
> In the wise words of the great sage Mr. T - "I pity the fool still
> running a 32-bit Mac!".

Why?  What's wrong with a 32-bit Mac?  It can browse the web, you can do
email, you can watch movies, you can listen to your music, you can print
and scan stuff, and other things.  And it provides much more computing
power than those tasks need even.

So again, why would you pity the "fool" who has a perfectly fine,
working computer?