[Interest] Qt for Android & iOS

Jason H scorp1us at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 15:43:46 CEST 2012

It's rather simple actually. Platform control.
iOS was developed for the phone, then monetized to bring in app revenue for Apple.
Android was the same way, but its initial purpose was to break carrier control and get people using google services on the mobile space so that didn't have a giant hole. Searches from wired computers are on their way out.

iOS will only ever support ARM, but Android's Java VM allows any CPU. It's actually quite clever.

Meanwhile Meego/Mer/Etc was done with the idea of selling Qt and providing a base to embedded/mobile markets. Sure there's some monetization for the Ovi App and music stores when it comes to the phone, but it's much more a "me too" thing. Qt is leverage to compile anywhere and let the app store sort it out. None of the other companies has such a casual approach. They were targeting specific instruction sets - ARM or Java because they did not have Qt at their disposal.

I just got an N9 yesterday and I am impressed. There's a few rough corners, but overall I'm more disappointed now that they jumped to WP7. It's fast, and responsive - faster than my dual core Atrix.  If more people had access to it, it would have crushed the prospect of WP7.