[Interest] Qt for Android & iOS

Attila Csipa qt at csipa.in.rs
Thu Apr 26 13:46:31 CEST 2012

On 04/25/2012 04:17 PM, Jason H wrote:
> I had considered that, but rejected it because Apple designs and
> manufactures its own chips. Therefore, they would change their CPU
> design rather than switch architectures.

AFAIK Apple doesn't manufacture their chips - they are in fact, fairly
famous for being fabless. They do design/tweaking, but that's a
different story. And to return to the previous point - architecture
matters a lot less than people would assume here. This is not the
desktop world where transitions take 3 years, mobile hardware and
software ages a LOT faster, so as much as it hurts the perfectionist
engineer inside compatibility nowadays means a lot less than it did
previously (feel free to disagree). Also (just to alienate the audience
further ;) ) the architecture portability of "Android" Java means less
than you might think - performance hungry applications/libraries already
extensively use the NDK, and a large amount of Android/Dalvik
optimizations is actually fairly ARM specific.

Attila