[Interest] Digia to acquire Qt from Nokia

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Tue Aug 14 17:44:54 CEST 2012

André:

> IANAL, but I don't see the ambiguity in the requirements, ...

  You don't find these paragraphs from LGPL 2.1, if not ambiguous,
  at least "interesting"?

    When a "work that uses the Library" uses material from a
    header file that is part of the Library, the object code
    for the work may be a derivative work of the Library even
    though the source code is not. Whether this is true is
    especially significant if the work can be linked without
    the Library, or if the work is itself a library. The
    threshold for this to be true is not precisely defined
    by law.

    If such an object file uses only numerical parameters,
    data structure layouts and accessors, and small macros
    and small inline functions (ten lines or less in length),
    then the use of the object file is unrestricted, regardless
    of whether it is legally a derivative work. (Executables
    containing this object code plus portions of the Library
    will still fall under Section 6.)

    Otherwise, if the work is a derivative of the Library,
    you may distribute the object code for the work under the
    terms of Section 6. Any executables containing that work
    also fall under Section 6, whether or not they are linked
    directly with the Library itself.

  Do you study your developed code to ensure that it only uses
  "small macros and small inline functions (ten lines or less
  in length)"?

                                 Atlant

FYI, here's the equivalent language from LGPL 3.0:

    3. Object Code Incorporating Material from Library Header Files.

       The object code form of an Application may incorporate material
       from a header file that is part of the Library. You may convey
       such object code under terms of your choice, provided that, if
       the incorporated material is not limited to numerical parameters,
       data structure layouts and accessors, or small macros, inline
       functions and templates (ten or fewer lines in length), you do
       both of the following:

    a) Give prominent notice with each copy of the object code that
       the Library is used in it and that the Library and its use are
       covered by this License.

    b) Accompany the object code with a copy of the GNU GPL and this
       license document.