[Interest] Digia to acquire Qt from Nokia

R. Reucher rene.reucher at batcom-it.net
Wed Aug 15 14:19:59 CEST 2012

On Wednesday 15 August 2012 14:06:08 Atlant Schmidt wrote:
>   I'm sorry; the FOSS folks have argued for years
>   that they have a workable financial model but
>   I see no evidence that this is true for anything
>   other than individuals and relatively small-scale
>   commercial operations.
Well, with this statement you're neglecting the well-known success of quite a
number of rather big companies in and around the Linux world :).

It IS the business model and the quality of your service, but nothing else. If
F(L)OSS doesn't fit your model but you still (want to) do this sort of
business, you'll either fail or you should at least be aware that you're
"giving something away" (thus killing "direct sales", but probably pushing a
different target).

The problem here seems to be: are you a convinced supporter of the open source
idea or not. I am, you apparently aren't when it comes to business at least.