[Interest] Digia to acquire Qt from Nokia

Karl Ruetz karl.ruetz at ruetzdogz.com
Wed Aug 15 16:20:07 CEST 2012

Hey now. I'm not "paranoid" or "idiotic", just lazy enough to be
willing to pay for a commercial license so I don't have to worry about
staying LGPL compliant.

Karl

On 2012-08-15 08:12, Konrad Rosenbaum
wrote:

> You are missing my point: there are only a few areas where
you can't use
> (L)GPL. Then there are a lot of paranoid bosses who
simply refuse to use
> (L)GPL'ed software although they could, or who
make idiotic demands on locking
> down the software. You can use the
commercial license of Qt in those cases.

> LGPL helps in a lot of
cases where the paranoia level is as low as the
> shoestring R&D budget
(this usually correlates, since lawyers are expensive):
> you can start
using Qt under LGPL although the application is non-GPL. There
> is a
huge class of applications for which the LGPL requirements are not a

problem (uncritical desktop or phone apps) and another huge class in
which you
> give the user the LGPL rights, but tell them that you only
support it if they
> keep your version of Qt (production that does not
threaten lives if the